The Site is controlled, operated, and administered by GM Financial from its offices within the United States. If you are accessing the Site from a location outside the United States, you acknowledge and consent to the collection, storage, processing, and transfer of your personal information to our facilities in the United States and to those third-parties with whom we share it as described in this Statement.
Table Of Contents
Collecting Personal Information
OnStar Insurance may collect, store, and use the following kinds of personal information:
- Information you provide when completing an online OnStar Insurance quote, submitting an application for insurance, or during the claims handling processes, including your first and last names, physical address, residence type, home telephone number, email address, date of birth, gender, marital status, Social Security number, driver’s license number, and vehicle information;
- Information you provide to us when you register your policy on onstarinsurance.com. This may include your email address, phone number, password, first and last names, zip code, OnStar Insurance policy number, Social Security number, and vehicle information such as make, model, and vehicle identification number ("VIN");
- Information from commercially available third-party sources, such as consumer reporting agencies and identity verification services, which may be combined with the information you provide when completing an online OnStar Insurance quote;
- Information about you and your vehicle obtained from our affiliates, including your driving behavior data based on consent we collect from you in the application process;
- Information about the device or computer you use to access the Site, including device ID, device and platform type, operating system, IP address, browser type and version, domain name, and referring website/service/application; and
- Information that you send directly to OnStar Insurance or post to any of OnStar Insurance’s social media websites for publication on the internet, such as your first and last names, username, profile picture, user preferences such as “Like” button clicks, and the content of your posts.
Using Personal Information
We may use personal information that we collect in the following ways:
- To provide you with Services and to fulfill our contractual obligations to you;
- To process your OnStar Insurance quote or policy application;
- To communicate with you about the Site or Services, such as to send you policy updates or other communications regarding your policy or to inform you of any changes to the Site or Services;
- To send you information about promotions or other marketing material;
- For specific purposes for which you provide consent;
- To provide you support or other services you request, for example technical support or to answer questions about the Site;
- To maintain and improve the Site and Services and improve user experience; and
- For any other legitimate business purpose.
Third-Party Collection of Personal Information
OnStar Insurance may allow third-party service providers to place persistent identifiers such as cookies, pixel tags, and web beacons on the Site.
Cookies, pixel tags, and web beacons are used for the following purposes:
Disclosing Personal Information to Third-Parties
We may disclose personal information we collect from you to the following third parties, for the purposes specified:
- Service Providers: We may use third parties to provide you with products and services you request. If you are a customer, we may disclose the information we collect about you as described herein and in accordance with OnStar Insurance customer privacy notices and applicable law.
- Affiliates: For customers, we may share personal information within the General Motors family of companies for analytical purposes, user preferences, and marketing in accordance with OnStar Insurance customer privacy notices and applicable law.
- Change in Corporate Structure: We may share information in connection with a merger, acquisition, consolidation, change of control, or sale of all or a portion of our assets or if we undergo bankruptcy or liquidation.
- Other Disclosures: We may also disclose your personal information when we are required to do so by law; with your consent; or when we believe that disclosure is necessary to service your policy, process or settle claims, protect our rights or to comply with a judicial proceeding, court order, or legal process.
Making Changes to Your Information
You may make changes to the information that you provide to us by logging into your account on onstarinsurance.com or calling us.
Do Not Track
Certain web browsers may provide an option by which you may have the browser inform websites or internet services you visit that you do not wish to have your activities tracked by cookies or other persistent identifiers across time and across third-party internet websites, online or cloud computing services, online applications, or mobile applications. These are commonly called "Do Not Track" signals. At this time, the Site does not honor Do Not Track signals from web browsers because it may diminish the optimal performance of the Site. However, you may refuse or delete cookies. Please refer to your browser’s Help instructions to learn more about cookies and other technologies, and how to manage their use. If you do elect to refuse or delete cookies, you will need to repeat this process if you use another computer or change browsers. If you choose to decline cookies, some of the functionalities of websites may be impaired.
OnStar Insurance processes Global Privacy Control preference signals. OnStar Insurance applies the Global Privacy Control signal at the browser level.
We maintain reasonable physical, electronic, and procedural safeguards designed to protect against loss or unauthorized access, disclosure, alteration, or destruction of the information you provide on the Site. However, no method of transmission over the internet or electronic storage technology is 100% secure. While we strive to use commercially acceptable means to protect your personal information, we cannot guarantee its absolute security. The security of your information also depends on the security of the electronic devices and internet service provider network that you use to access the Site. We are not responsible for the security of your information accessed on those devices or networks.
If you do not want to receive marketing communications from OnStar Insurance, please visit the Consumer Preference System website at www.gmcontactpreferences.com . This will allow you to opt out of unsolicited marketing telephone and email communications and/or to change previously submitted opt-out preferences. You can also call 1-866-MYPRIVACY (1-866-697-7482) to opt out of direct mail communications, as well as telephone and email communications, and/or to change previously submitted opt-out preferences.
The Site is not intended for use by children under the age of 13 years, and we do not knowingly collect personal information from children under the age of 13 years. Please contact us if you believe we may have unknowingly collected information about a child under 13, and we will take immediate steps to delete any such personal information.